Sunday, February 27, 2011

Malacca cabbies, no meter please

By Ling Poh Lean
lplean@nst.com.my

If you are a first timer in Malacca and need a taxi service, make sure you get the one without a meter.

As I am dependent on taxis in Kuala Lumpur, it was a shock to me that travelling in a metered taxi would cost more than those without meters, according to a taxi driver.

Back in Kuala Lumpur, I refuse to hop in a cab unless the driver turns on the meter. I thought, it should be the same here in Malacca.

After a few attempts to get a metered taxi, I gave up and got into one without a meter this morning for an assignment in Merlimau.

Out of curiosity, I asked the driver, why his colleagues refused to turn on the meter.

Michael, the driver, immediately knew that I was not local.

He claimed Malaccans did not like metered taxis as it could cost double than those without a meter.

In fact, he said, hotel staff would advise tourists they should avoid taxis with meter when travelling around Malacca town.

He then told me of an experience, where a group of passengers had refused to get into his taxi to go to Kuala Lumpur International Airport unless he turned on the meter.

He then told them he did not have a meter installed in his taxi. He then offered to call his friend who was driving a metered taxi.

The customers were shocked that they have to pay double the price from what Michael had offered them earlier.

According to Michael, the fare for a metered taxi in Malacca starts at RM6, which is double compared to KL taxis.

I was not sure if this is true but one thing for sure getting a metered taxi in Malacca Historical city is not as easy as in KL.

No comments:

Post a Comment